Chainsaws are indispensable tools for many homeowners today. They make light work of woodcutting jobs that would be backbreaking if you use axes for them. You can use chainsaws to cut down trees, chop firewood, carve wood, and even trim and maintain hedges.
Using firewood for domestic heating has been proven to be one of the cheapest ways to heat your home. To make the task of cutting wood easier, you should get a chainsaw. However, it will not do to get just any chainsaw as they come in different sizes, and each one will cut various materials differently.
Before you purchase a chainsaw that you want to use to cut firewood, you should first consider the width of the trees that you will frequently cut. For medium-sized trees which are about fourteen to sixteen inches wide, you’ll need a chainsaw that is sixteen to eighteen inches long.
You’ll need a longer chainsaw for trees that are larger than that and are in the twenty to twenty-four inches range. However, most homeowners do not cut trees that large except they have enough experience cutting trees, as it is best to leave the cutting of large trees to the professionals. Generally, an eighteen-inch chainsaw is a good size for cutting firewood.
Best Chainsaws for Cutting Firewood
There are three types of chainsaws on the market which are the corded or electric chainsaws, battery-powered or cordless chainsaws, and gasoline chainsaws. Below are the best chainsaws that you can use to cut firewood and their features.
Oregon CS1400 18 inches self-sharpening corded electric chainsaw
The Oregon CS1400 is perfect for cutting branches and making firewood. It has many features that make it a great chainsaw for homeowners.
- Powerful performance: 2400 W electric chainsaw with integrated chain brake and 16" bar; ideal...
- DuraCut saw chain: Cuts 3 times longer than standard chain in abrasive environments; 14.7 m/sec...
- Clever design: Built in chain tightening system doesn't require any tools; simply switch on,...
It has an advanced plating process. This helps to place additional layers Heavy-Duty chrome on the chainsaw for increased saw chain strength.
It weighs just over 7kg and also has an ergonomic design that helps it to remain lightweight and balanced when used to cut firewood, It has very low vibration levels and is supplied with an over-mould comfortable handle.
This Oregon chainsaw also comes with an oil level window that allows you to check the oil levels without opening it up.
- The chainsaw comes pre-assembled and so you can begin using it immediately you purchase it.
- You do not need to worry about breathing in fumes as the device does not produce fumes and it is not as noisy as some of the other chainsaws on this list.
- It is straightforward to use and is a perfect tool for people who are new to using chainsaws.
- It has an automatic oiler that lubricates the bar and chain, keeping your saw well-oiled and prolonging its lifespan by stopping early wear and tear.
- Some cordless chainsaws are lighter and easier to carry.
Bosch AKE 35 S Bosch Bosch AKE35S Electric Chainsaw
The Bosch electric chainsaw is another saw that is perfect for trimming, cutting firewood, as well as trees and their branches.
- 1800 watt motor
- 35cm/14in cutter bar
- SDS system for quick and easy chain tensioning
It is really easy to set up and has a 30-inch maximum cut diameter, meaning that you can conveniently cut medium-sized sized logs of firewood with it.
The chainsaw has an item weight of approximately 4kg and engine size of 1800-watts. The chainsaw also has a chain brake and anti-kickback for safety and handling comfort.
It features a quick-adjust chain tensioning system that enables you to adjust the chain of the device quickly.
- The chainsaw has a chain catcher and an automatic chain oiler, convenient additions for people new to chainsaw use.
- The chainsaw is very durable and will easily withstand rough usage.
- It is very effective and will easily cut through medium-sized woods in little time and without much effort on your part.
- The chainsaw is not very loud and makes only minimal noise.
- Require careful use when for initial cuts to avoid kickback.
BLACK+DECKER Cordless Chainsaw
This 18-inch cordless chainsaw has enough power to cut through medium-sized trees very easily. From its powerful motor to its automatic oiling system, it has enough features to provide a smooth and enjoyable cutting experience for you.
- A lightweight and cordless chainsaw with 25 cm cutting width - ideal for logging, pruning,...
- Weighing only 3.1 kg with the weight evenly balanced between handle and the cutting bar
- Secondary bale handle with cover offer better handling and control during the application; the...
The chainsaw has a chain brake and a clear window for oil visibility. It has a 15 Ah powerful motor that enables it to cut through hardwood easily.
It features an 18-inch low kickback bar and chain and comes with a scabbard included. It has dimensions of 22.1 x 41.2 x 24 cm and weighs 3.1 kgs.
- The oil visibility window allows you to see and know the chainsaw’s oil level.
- The chainsaw is lightweight, enabling you to handle it without getting tired quickly.
- The low kickback bar and chain of the device ensure that its cut speed is reduced and its vibration is minimized.
- Its automatic oiling system also keeps the bar and chain constantly lubricated.
- The chainsaw is quite safe to use because of its chain brake.
- It is also not very noisy, as it only emits a low noise.
- Crosscheck the chain attachment before use.
Greenworks Pro 80V 18-inch Cordless chainsaw
This Greenworks chainsaw is great if you are looking to handle all gardening tasks and cut up firewood without being attached to an electric outlet. It also does it very quietly with just one battery system.
- Battery and charger not included
- Blade length: 45 cm
- Chain speed: 15m/s
Whether for felling or sawing, the Greenworks cordless chainsaw 80 V, with a blade length of 45 cm, is always the right choice. The integrated oil level indicator, the oil level can be easily controlled even while working.
A safety switch-on lock and an electronic chain brake ensure the necessary workmanship.
Thanks to the ergonomically shaped handle and the low weight of the battery chainsaw, the work is particularly easy by hand. It has a runtime of approximately 70 min.
Some of the other key features also include – automatic chain lubrication, oil level display, tool-free sword and chain replacement, safety switch-on lock, electronic chain brake, ergonomic handle,
Its weight without battery included is 5.5 kg.
- The Green works pro does not produce a lot of noise.
- It offers up to 150 cuts with a fully charged battery, plus it also offers a fast 30-minute battery charge.
- It is safe to use as it has an electronic chain brake and its handle also has a metal wrap.
- Battery and charger not included
Although there are different types and sizes of chainsaws on the market, both cordless and electric chainsaws each serve their own purpose. Understanding the difference between each type of chainsaw and how they help you to cut material is vital if you want to do a perfect job.
If you want to buy a chainsaw for cutting firewood, then you will be better off with an 18-inch one, especially if you are going to be cutting down medium-sized trees.
If you are cutting large-sized trees, then you should purchase a chainsaw with a length of between 20 to 24 inches.
Last update on 2022-09-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API