Chainsaws are extremely useful in farms, but buying a saw that is unsuitable for farm use could stress you more than it helps you. Some of the tasks you can use a chainsaw for on the farm are; bucking, limbing, and felling of trees.
How do you choose the best chainsaw for farm use? This is a question that should be answered while evaluating the magnitude of work that needs to be done. Another important factor to consider is your experience with chainsaws. In other words, your expertise with using chainsaws and the type of cutting will determine which chainsaw is best for your farm work.
However, there are chainsaws in the market that are friendly to novice and professional users alike. And to save you some trouble, we have assembled three (3) chainsaws that we think will be great for farm use.
Best Chainsaw For Farm Use
Husqvarna 18 Inch 455 Rancher Gas Chainsaw
The Husqvarna 455 is a heavy-duty and high-powered chainsaw that is superb for farmers and homeowners. The gas-controlled cutting tool ranges around 18 inches and flaunts a 55-1/2cc engine backed with 2.8Hp.
- 455 Rancher chainsaw is an ideal saw for landowners or homeowners who require a high powered...
- 55. 5cc 20 inch gas chainsaw with guide bar and chain
- 2 cycle engine with Intertie activated chain brake for safety while operating
Aside from its lightweight feature, the Husqvarna 455 comes with an air filter that allows for easy cleaning. It comes loaded with specifications that promote safe, effective and easy use.
The Husqvarna 455 can fell any kind of tree, including the enormous oak trees. Among its amazing features, a personal favourite is its simple start-up (begins after a couple of pulls). Due to its ability to take on any tree size and efficiency with which it does so, the Husqvarna 455 will serve farmers well.
The machine utilizes a 3-piece crankshaft that makes it extra durable, keeping it sturdy when confronted with harder jobs. The front ergonomic handle permits for improved grip and reduces fatigue. Also, the chain tensioner on the side of the Husqvarna 455 allows for easy and fast adjustment during use. The chainsaw is equipped with a chain brake which reduces the risk of injuries and its lightweight is an extra bonus.
- Easy air filter cleaning system
- Moderate pricing compared to many other products of the same class
- Powerful Engine
- Lower vibration
- Lower noise production
- 18-inch bar
- Starting the machine can be stressful if you forget the instructions.
Greenworks 12-Inch 40v Cordless Chainsaw
One of the best perks of the Greenworks 40v Cordless chainsaw is its affordability. The features it offers are top-notch, considering the price it is sold for.
- High Performance G-MAX 40V Lithium-Ion Battery delivers fade-free power with no memory loss...
- Robust 12-inch steel chain and bar with tool-less chain tensioning offers ease of use while...
- 3/8-inch chain pitch delivers the right amount of capabilities to get those limbs trimmed and...
With the Greenworks 40v cordless chainsaw, farmers do not have to worry about maintenance because it does not use gas or oil. Even as a battery-powered chainsaw, the Greenworks 40v Cordless Chainsaw delivers the same power a gas chainsaw would.
The push-button start is a feature that ensures easy use for owners. It offers lesser vibration of up to 70%, allowing more comfort during use. The bar’s 12-inch length can cleanly cut through most small trees and branches. It’s size, weight and performance are perfect for small scale farmers. However, if you’re new to using chainsaws, this model might not be ideal for you because it does not offer enough protection to guarantee maximum safety during use.
- Weighs 6 pounds
- Very easy to handle
- The battery lasts more than 70 cuts
- Has automatic chain tensioning
- Has a 12-inch bar
- Can cut through most wood
- Not strong enough for cutting large wood
- The materials of some parts feel cheap.
- Battery life is not so great.
The Greenworks 12-inch 40v Cordless Chainsaw is not as powerful as the previously recommended chainsaw. However, it can effectively perform some light duty tasks around the farm.
The Worx Wg303.1 chainsaw is an electric-powered tool that allows for easy cutting of small trees, chopping of wood, and climbing.
It grants you a scope of advantage from typical cutting to serious wood chopping. This corded electric chainsaw is useful for homeowners and farmers and is often used by professionals and consumers in the sawing industry.
The Worx WG303.1 is low maintenance, moderate and powerful chainsaw that can manage farm and yard related tasks. It is convenient, easy to use and is compatible with any kind of user. It is one of the most lightweight-yet-amazing saws on the market. It has a chain brake that prevents kickback which makes it safe during use. The chain brake feature is one you do not find in all chainsaws which makes the Worx one of the best security-wise.
The Worx WG303.1 comes with an automatic tightening chain that works on its own as you work. It self-maintains, which means most of its maintenance is automatic. This feature makes it attractive for beginners who might not fully know how to properly maintain a chainsaw. It is accompanied with a 16″ bar and chain, which is a suitable mid-range dimension. It can trim and prune branches while cutting smaller pieces of logs for firewood. A proper extension cord can increase its life span.
- It is designed with a self-working tool tensioning system. You don’t need to stress over-fixing or keeping up the chainsaw, as it does everything itself
- The rubber treated handle is ergonomically safe. It makes the chainsaw simple to hold for an extended period, which additionally keeps vibration from causing pain to the hands.
- With over 14.5 amps of power, this fantastic chainsaw is incredible for getting most woodcutting done.
- Though this is a great consumer product for many tasks, it isn’t the best for everybody. There are a couple of constraints to the Worx WG303 that can be a major issue for the individuals who invest in more heavy-duty projects.
- This chainsaw can’t perform more than medium-sized jobs. With just a 16″ bar and a small amount of power, it won’t have the option to fell large trees or cut through extremely thick logs. However, it can complete the most menial task,
Gas Chainsaw, Battery Chainsaw, Or Electric Chainsaw?
To choose between gas, electric, or battery-powered chainsaws for farm work, you must first know what works best for you and what you need to get done. Generally, a gas-powered chainsaw is more flexible, and most times, more powerful than a battery and electric-powered chainsaw. Gas-powered chainsaws, for the most part, gives you the most impressive cut and longest cut time
With an electric-powered chainsaw, you will need an outlet close by where you will have to plug the chainsaw into and there’s always the stress of dragging the cord around.
Battery-powered chainsaws can be what you need on the farm as well. Since they are rechargeable, they can get the job done as long as the battery will allow. Depending on which brand you choose, battery-powered chainsaws can give you a very long cut time.
What Size Of Bar Should I Choose?
The best bar size for farm work is still under debate. Some are of the opinion that longer bars are better, while others argue that shorter bars are easier to work with. The 18-inch bar is said to possess enough force that can cut down large trees without any hassle. It can easily perform any task on the farm, big or small. Some argue that the 16-inch bar is better for smaller jobs, for example, cleaning in the spring or general maintenance.
Knowing what bar size to go for should not be too much of a bother. Generally, you will need bigger bars when you have bigger jobs to do. So, if you operate a very large farm where you will need to fell huge trees, it’s obvious you’ll need a chainsaw with big bars.
The opposite is true if you have a smaller farm. However, you should go for bigger bars if you’re not sure what awaits you at the farm.
When considering what chainsaw is best for farm use, consider one that is versatile. The electric chainsaw is not very flexible because of the cord you’d have to drag around as well as your inability to go out of the cord’s range.
Battery-powered chainsaws have a great deal to offer and should be considered for smaller farms. However, if you have a bigger farm, you will need to consider getting more batteries.
Gas-powered chainsaws will offer the most use and versatility. Such chainsaws can tackle every tree and are usually more powerful. As long as you bring extra gas with you to the farm, you can work for as long as you want.
Most importantly, the kind of work you need to get done at the farm will determine the kind of chainsaw to go for. Knowing what task lies ahead will help you decide the bar size you need.
1 Crankshaft [Link]
Last update on 2021-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API